Saturday, March 24, 2012

Baby Watson is Here!!


Eleanor Rose Watson was born Friday, March 23 at 11:22 am. She is named after Todd's Grandmother whom we lovingly called Gang-Gang and my Great-grandmother on my Dad's side. We are calling her 
Ella Rose. 

On Friday morning around 2 am my water broke. I called the hospital and they told me to time contractions for an hour and call back. When I called back they were 6 minutes apart. They told me to wait until they were 5 minutes apart for an hour. Around 4 am, Todd took me to my mom's so she could help me and he could run to work and do a couple things to ensure whomever was covering his route didn't miss anyone. 

Around 6 am, it was time to go to the hospital. My contractions had been 5 minutes apart for 30 minutes, then 4 minutes apart for 15 or so minutes and then 3 minutes. As soon as we pulled into the hospital parking lot, the contractions really got intense...little did I know things were about to get a lot more painful. 

They officially admitted me to the hospital around 7, and the pain was...PAINFUL. My nurse asked all the admission questions as slowly as humanly possible, I'm sure. It probably didn't help that I knew that as soon as I Was officially admitted, I got an IV to help "take the edge off" until I was dilated to a 4 and ready for the epidural. If you know me...you know I'm a wuss. I was in so much pain, I didn't know how to deal with it. All I wanted was for my Mama to make it better. Between her and Todd they were trying their hardest to calm me down and remind me to breathe through my nose. I just could not calm down. I was climbing the walls through those contractions!! 

Once I got the IV...it's totally blank. Todd says I Was literally lethargic in between contractions but still yelling and climbing through them. They checked me at 10 am, an hour after I got the IV...AND I HAD DILATED TO A 9. No wonder I was hurting so badly! Todd had to hold me up while they gave me the epidural. I was so thankful to have made it to 9, I knew I Was going to get the opportunity to push...

Except, as soon as I received the epidural, the baby's heart rate dropped and wouldn't steady back out. They rolled me back and forth, from side to side for about 45 minutes and then told me we'd be doing a c-section immediately. I was a little disappointed but I was also thankful for the urgency and efficiency of the team. As soon as the decision was made, my room was full of nurses. I'd be willing to bet at least 10 of them helping get me ready to go into surgery. 

Ella Rose was born at 11:22 am. She had her umbilical cord loosely wrapped around her neck. She wasn't blue or anything like that, she was just tangled up. When the doctor said it was a girl, I was shocked. I really thought this baby was a boy! 

I may be biased, but I think she is beautiful.  

Daddy and Ella Rose in the Operating Room

Just Resting...

 Just resting...

Big Sister, Little Sister...
   

2 comments:

The Allison Family said...

Congratulations Mandy!! I love her name and she is just BEAUTIFUL!! Especially love the picture of both girls together.

Steph said...

Congrats on the new addition. I just love little girls and I know you do too. Todd has a house full of women :). Hope you are doing well. The Perkins family loves you.