Sunday, February 20, 2011

I'll Never Forget...

Today was the 53rd running of the Daytona 500. Those of you who know me well, know that I am very much a race fan. Before you roll your eyes and call me a redneck, let me say, it's in my blood. My Daddy loves racing. My brother Chess was a go-kart racing champion.
I was very attentive to this year's Daytona Speed Weeks, it's the 10th anniversary of Dale Earnhardt, Sr's death. I remember listening to the race on the radio that day because I was out shopping with my Mom. They said Sr wrecked, acted like it was no big deal and continued the final race coverage...until someone said they had taken him to the hospital. I remember hearing Mike Helton on the radio that night as I was dropping my Jeep off in the Off-Campus parking lot at ASU, saying he had died. My friend Melissa and I were in shock.

To this day, I still read any story written about him, watch any movie or tv show focused on him; it's not an obsession, I promise. He was legendary. I wonder, where he was laid to rest. I wonder, how it must feel for his sons, daughter, and wife to return to that track twice a year. I teared up when they showed all the fans today on the 3rd lap, standing silent and holding a number 3 in the air. What a legacy he left behind.

This post is really for me. I just wanted to pay tribute to the man I grew up watching on tv every weekend with my Daddy.


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:21st St NW,Hickory,United States

No comments: