Sunday, July 10, 2011

A New Goal...

Yesterday was a great day. I learned an invaluable lesson.

8 years ago, my Uncle Richie died. His final wish was to be cremated and his ashes scattered in the river at Carolina Hemlock Campground in Pisgah National Forest. So, the second Saturday in July, thats what happened. My Uncle wasn't married. He was a biker. And every year on the second Saturday in July, his family and his friends go back to the campground and toss flowers in the river, have lunch and fellowship. Then the bikers ride through the mountains in his memory.

This was my first year going. And when we were standing on the rocks waiting to throw our roses into the water, I had a thought. "Would anyone other than my family remember me 8 years after I passed away?" Probably not. "Man, I want to have friends like these..." and gently in my spirit I had a realization. I shouldn't want to have friends like this, I should want to be the kind of friend that someone would miss having.

I'm not perfect. I have always favored my family over fleeting friendships. I have had "best friends" for only a season, but I'd love to have just a handful of good friends. Girlfriends, couple friends, any friends.

I've been told many times that you have to be a friend to have a friend...but maybe it's more important to be the kind of friend you want to have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You continue to grow up, Mandy...in your thoughts, your ideals, your heart. I am very proud of you!

AletheiaCharis said...

I always look at my address book and see the people who have been in my life a long time. After a while I know that these people would leave a gap in my life, and I feel its rather safe to assume I'd leave a gap in theirs. I don't worry about the fleeting friends and aquantences any more, if someone wants to be a part of my life they will invest in the relationship as I invest in the relationship - these are the investments that last and that remember the loss 10 years later.